A New Century of Service!

Home Auto Farm Mobile Home
Fire Business Rentals Umbrella


                           Home | Site Map | Help



Home > Claims

For more than a Century, Wayne Mutual Insurance has been helping Ohioans avoid losses or recover quickly when losses occur.  If a storm damages your roof or if someone is injured on your property, you're faced with a property or liability loss... and any loss, no matter how small, can be an upsetting experience. Your Wayne Mutual agent should be your first point of contact.  The agent will record the details and immediately forward your claim to the Wayne Mutual claims staff.  We stand ready to assist you in this difficult time.  We will work to provide a prompt, fair response to your claim, helping you recover from your loss as quickly as possible.  Following are answers to common claims questions:

Who should I contact?

What should I do if I have a property loss?

What should I do if I have a liability claim?

What will happen after I submit my claim?

What happens if I am sued or receive a third-party claim?

Where can I get a listing of claims repair providers?
Where can I get a listing of preferred claims auto body repair shops?

If any of the provisions of this website conflict with the provisions of any of our policies, the provisions of the policies control.

Who should I contact?

Call your Wayne Mutual agent. Be sure to give the date, time & cause of loss, your current address, daytime and nighttime phone number or current phone number of a contact person.  Our Find An Agent page can provide the contact information for your local agent.  If the loss occurs when your agent's office is closed, report the claim early the next business day.  If you cannot reach your agent, call the Wayne Mutual Claims Department at 1-800-222-3873 x310 and leave a message.

For emergency claims (claims involving major damage to your home or business, or serious physical injury or death):

Daytime Emergency Claims: If your claim requires immediate attention, you may contact a Wayne Mutual adjuster directly at 1-800-222-3873 x1

After-Hours Emergency Claims: If your claim requires immediate attention and our office is closed, you may contact a Wayne Mutual adjuster by calling our emergency phone at 1-800-222-3873 x1 then x8.

What should I do if I have a property loss?

  • Make certain everyone is safe.  Keep family members and others away from damaged property or autos.

  • Protect your property from further damage.  For example:

    - Tarp a damaged roof to avoid water or other damage inside.

    - Insulate and/or board up windows and doors after a fire, wind or a break-in loss. This could also prevent freeze up or additional damage.

    - When appropriate, shut off utilities, such as water, gas and electricity.

    - If possible, maintain heat in the building to avoid additional frozen pipes or plumbing damage. If it is impossible to maintain heat, drain all plumbing fixtures and if necessary contact a plumber to assist you.

  • Contact Authorities.  Contact the police in cases where the law has been violated, such as theft, burglary, vandalism, auto accidents, or suspected arson.

  • Contact your agent as soon as possible.  Correct and current information will ensure that we can reach you to better service your needs.

  • Write down a detailed description of what happened.  Include information about the extent of damage and an inventory of all damaged property. 

    For automobile insurance claims, include the following:

    - Accident details including day, time, location and damage caused
    - Names and addresses of any witnesses or injured persons
    - Whether police were notified and, if so, which agency responded
    - Year, make, model and plate numbers of all vehicles involved
    - Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
    - Information on other drivers involved including contact information, driver's license numbers and insurance details (policy number, company or agent)

What should I do if I have a liability claim?

Liability losses involve damage to someone else's property or injury to another person.

  1. Contact your agent immediately if there is an accident, or if you become aware of anything that indicates there might be a claim.

  2. Don't acknowledge or deny responsibility when an accident occurs.

  3. Avoid making statements such as, "We'll take care of everything." Instead, say, "We'll report this injury to our insurance company, and they'll be in touch with you."

  4. See that appropriate medical care is provided immediately if someone is injured. Without acknowledging responsibility, provide our name, address, and phone number if requested by an injured person.

What will happen after I submit my claim?

  1. Wayne Mutual's claims department will acknowledge your claim by telephone or in writing within 24 hours of notification.

  2. Our experienced staff will gather any other information needed and assist you in resolving your claim as quickly as possible.

  3. For more serious losses, we will assign an adjuster to help establish the full extent of your damages and assist you in settling your claim.

  4. If you do not know who to contact for repairs, we have provided a listing of claims repair providers for your use. We also provide a listing of Preferred Auto Body Repair Shops.  Wayne guarantees your satisfaction with our Preferred Claims Providers.

What happens if I am sued or receive a third-party claim?

  • Complaint and Summons. If you are sued, the plaintiff's lawyer will have the court send two documents to you or your business: a complaint (a description of the lawsuit) and a summons (a request for your response)

  • Call Quickly. If you receive a summons and complaint, or a third-party claim, notify your Wayne Mutual agent immediately so that we can evaluate the demand and respond as necessary.

  • Avoid Communication with the Plaintiffs. Avoid direct communication with the plaintiff or plaintiff's attorney regarding the claim. If you are approached by another insurance company, the plaintiff's attorney or an investigator, or if you are asked to do any of the items below, decline the request and refer them to Wayne Mutual's Claims Department. These items may include, but are not limited to:

    - requests to sign a statement
    - requests to take photos of the area involved
    - requests for inspection of items involved in the loss
    - requests to complete a questionnaire
    - requests to provide coverage information



Send comments to the webmaster updated:11/12/12

2012 Wayne Mutual Insurance Company